Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Bad Mature Guy

I finally got cable!!! Yes, juvenile, but I have been "dreaming" of having cable for the longest time ever. So... I was watching a chinese drama serial on tv, and the current episodes were dealing with a very tangled up relationship. In short, a senior partner at the law firm (the typical playboy) was trying hard to "seduce" this younger married spoilt female lawyer. Apparently, he had once tried to chase her but was rejected for being a playboy? How typical... Anyway, the episode ended with the female filing for divorce despite the objections of her family members, etc. Jules resolutely refused to watch the show after the first half hour... the reason? Coz the viewer would get infuriated watching the plot progress... and become increasingly alarmed as the scenario painted on screen could really, just really, happen in real life. 

For me, I admit I was hooked. On the one hand, I really wanted to stop watching coz I knew it would end in a divorce... on the other, I couldn't help marveling at the way the older mature man was manipulating the younger woman. And yes, I was wondering if he was chasing her coz he was just relishing the challenge, or coz he really liked her. Would he ditch the gal once the divorce is finalised...  guess I would have to continue watching to know. 

Does reel life mirror real life? In terms of Singapore television dramas... more often not. In this case, I think I have seen similar scenarios often enough... Last night, could not help but remember "A"... scarily, I could not help but run the parallels between him and the male protagonist. And I think it was his desire to live his life "dramatically" that resulted in him doing alot of the things he did... the constant need to find some challenge to amuse himself. Could not help but wonder how he is now, and whether he finally managed to find some peace in his life, or is he still continuing his hunt of young fragile prey. Hmmm.. why is it that often people choose not to take the contented path? ponder ponder. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home