Thursday, November 08, 2007

Last Day in Hawaii

Last day in Hawaii... I think time really does fly when we are enjoying ourselves. Am at Maui airport waiting for my flight back to Oahu, where I strongly suspect I am going to spend the majority of my time doing my last minute souvenior shopping... ok... maybe not just for souveniors.

Shopping... never really thought that Hawaii would prove to be such a shopping haven for me, but now, my bags are laden with my new purchases. I seriously think I am an overseas shopaholic... the kind that finds nothing much to buy in my sunny hometown, but finds gems abroad.

Funnily enough, there seems to be more to purchase this time round as compared to my visit here five years ago. Maybe because I'm spending my own money... Maybe because the exchange rate is alot more favourable, maybe because things in SG aren't all that cheap 
anymore... or maybe because there isn't someone going "tsk tsk" at my purchases. Well, whatever the reason, I bought alot!!! And am proud of all my pirchases. :)

14 days in Hawaii... and we only had three days of sun. Obviously I'm alot less than than what I would have expected. The last six nights have been absol
utely luxurious though... Jules managed to book us into hotels that typically cost US$400 a night...

a) Hotel Hana Maui
This was the hotel that made me dream of having my honeymoon in Hawaii. It is quintessential romantic, in a small resort kind of way. In fact, it's listed in the "small luxury hotels of the world"!!! This time round though, am quite sad to say that I don't think I'll be returning to Hana. The hotel is a tad run down, and filled with mosquitoes, the pace of life her... super duper slow... not that I have anything against it, but it kinda makes you a tad impatient when one is hungry but my milk and granola takes half an hour to arrive. Grouses aside, the rest of Hana was beautiful, the drive took us a record 4 hours as we stopped at almost every single waterfall, attraction, pullover (i.e. scenic lookout point). The waterfalls (especially the "twin falls") were *bleah*, but everything else was perfect! Most memorable places were Ke'anae peninsular and the Wainapanapa State Park. At those points, I was really glad that we bought the Guide to Hana CD coz those sights were really remarkable. There's something about the sound and sight of crashing waves that brings about peace... really lovely.


Sunset at Laihana

A glimpse of Lanai


Waves crashing at Ke'anae Peninsular

Hotel Hana Maui

Waves crashing at Wainapanapa State Park

b) The Westin Kanapali
Jules managed to find a steal for our accommodation @ The Westin. Well, our hotel was simply luxurious, and it came complete with a washing machine, dryer and kitchen! I think I'm really going to have a problem getting used to the accommodation the next time I go on a business trip to Chugoku. Thanks to the "washing" facilities, I don't really have any dirty clothes! We have been zealously washing and cooking every day! (Hmm... almost every day)
Kanapali was also the only three days that Jules and I spent in the sun and water. The sea was "calm-ish" for Hawaiian standards, and the sun was shining bright... Jules finally got his tan! 
On the third day, we embarked on our most expensive snorkeling trip ever... US$108 per pax to the nearby island of Lanai. The fish were small, but thankfully, we were rewarded with two turtles and an entire school (approximately 30 to 40) exhibitionistic and playful dolphins! Watching them up close was beautiful... that will definitely be forever etched in my memory. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home