Thursday, October 26, 2006

Drinks

At some point or other, we all seem to have caught on to the habit… some do it for a short span of their lives, well, for others it becomes a part of their life.

Am trying very hard to remember when I started… most probably on one of those forays in the car park with a bunch of gal friends. Think I most probably did not fancy the taste of beer back then… but then again, isn’t that the case with most addictions?

Do I consider myself addicted? Not in the I must have a “taste” each day sense… but it definitely has become part of my week’s routine. Inevitably, there will be a “chill out” session at some pub or other when the weekend draws near.

So, yes, I was out on yet another drinking session one night, when I noticed the following phenomenon.

Beer No. 1 – beer takes about an hour to finish
Beer No. 2 – beer takes 45 minutes to finish
Beer No. 3 – disappears after some sipping and some gulping
Beer No. 4 – disappears after a few, and I mean a few, gulps
Beer No. 5 – was it even there?
Been No. n – beer takes about an hour to finish yet again
n being the last beer for the night

Of course, the exact timing and number of beers it takes to pass from stage to stage is dependent on an individual’s drinking abilities and speed, but the pattern is there… oh yeah, it also depends on the individual’s mood on that particular drinking event, sometimes Beer No. 1 = Beer No. n

Why this sudden “revelation”? Well… the past couple of drinking sessions I was trying to mark the passage of time against the number of beers that I consumed, assuming that if it takes me an hour to finish the first beer, it would take me four hours to finish four beers.
But for some reason, the equation never worked out, and I ended up spending way more than 4 x $14 after a night of boozing.

Which brings me to whether we are actually able to discern the different types of beer, or are we just fooled by the different marketing gimmicks… It’s like people who claim to only drink Coke or Pepsi, and then fail to distinguish the two when blindfolded and doing a taste test… I wonder if we could run the same test for beer… Granted, it does not take much to pick up a Hoegarden from the rest of the beers, but to tell which is a Carlsberg and which is a Tiger? Oh well, that’s a possible program for the next drink session.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The usual bunch of beer guzzlers can definitely tell the difference between Carlsberg & Tiger ....

Cerveza! Cerveza!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home