Wednesday, July 16, 2008





There must be something about getting old that makes one teary eyed. Mayhaps the tear ducts just function better with age. Whatever the case, was strangely emotional whilst attending the little one's Commencement last Saturday.

7 years appears both short and long depending on which little angle we are staring at. It's long enough for a change in naming convention. What used to be a Convocation is now a Commencement, and what used to be just simple Orientation / Matriculation is now a Convocation. 7 years definitely brought about a change in what was considered acceptable undergraduate behaviour, and this was extremely evident in the school video screened. Whilst the video at my own graduation ceremony was full of orientation moments (i.e. students running around in big tees, big shorts, and getting all muddy and dirty), the sis's video had plenty of footage pertaining to hot dance costumes (i.e. almost nothing), and beer. I am sure my parents would have cringed if there was a shot of my sis in one of the skimpy salsa costumes, but mayhaps, the other parents have gotten more liberal. However, looking at everyone in their gowns, I could not help but remember my own convocation with vivid detail, and of taking photos with everyone. And listening to the conversations, well, some things just don't change with time.

Must say I was pretty impressed by the speeches given by the students. There was a good balance of humour with emotion, and the delivery was impeccable. At that point of time, I realised the difference in the different universities educational style, and I must say that the school culture is very strong indeed. The students definitely surpassed their deans in their articulation and pronunciation... as the deans of the different schools had the mother and me trying hard to repress our laughter throughout their speech.

Though the parents did not say it, I think they were very happy on that day. After all, I know that my parents have always felt the pressure of bringing two slightly problematic daughters all the way to university. Well, contrary to their belief, I think the little sis and I are quite grounded, and in many ways, pretty sure about what we want. Hopefully, now that this phase in life is complete, they will learn to relax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home