Sunday, May 27, 2007

Flying from place to place

By some twist of fate, have been out of sunny little Singapore quite a bit in the past month of so. Remember when I first took up this job, this was how I expected my life to be, travelling about 50% of the time, spending up to two weeks at each location... but obviously that did not pan out. Thus, when I saw my overseas job assignments this time round, I adopted the view point of not expecting it to materialize until I see the air tickets. Ironically, of course, this time round, with each passing week, I am presented with yet another air ticket.

But how different the heart feels about travelling in just the space of a year. Whilst I looked at travel opportunities with excitement, this time round I can't help but worry about the tons of unfinished items that I am leaving behind. Also know that due to my absence, Jules and my mum have been running about trying to settle things with respect to my wedding preparations, my house, etc.

This week, I am in Huzhou, China? Where again in China? Well, as far as I've been able to gather, it's located on the Zhejiang, 3.5hrs away from Shanghai. Someone really needs to explain to me all this province, district and what have you that applies to China's geographical divide. The biggest attraction here is the TaiHu, a big big lake which I'll never get the opportunity to see. It's surrounded by mountains (I can actually see them from the factory), and I'm gonna visit a waterfall today!!! Actually, I kind of like Huzhou... it's a very non touristy area... you hardly see any foreigners. For a change, the clients have put us up in a decent accomodation... and it definitely makes working for 12 hours straight in your hotel room alot more comfortable. Anyways, the hotel is located in the "orchard road" stretch of Huzhou, so I managed to sneak some shopping over the weekend. Clothes here are actually comparable to SG prices, and there are still people buying them!!! Apparently, the people in this place believe in "enjoying life". Overtime is a no no, in spite of the lucrative overtime pay. Dinner here starts as early as 5pm, and folks here would rather hang out with friends at the shopping malls, KTVs, etc then to work. Income is largely, and I mean largely, supplement by speculation in stocks. Everyone I have seen monitors the stock prices whilst at work.

The highlight of shopping in Huzhou? Stationery! They have alot of Carrefour like supermarkets here, and this coupled with the department stores, stock up alot of pretty and affordable stationery (think SG prices divided by 5). May just post a pic of all my buys if I have the time. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home