Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Office Romance or not?

So, it was just another lunch time conversation (just love lunch times, dinner times and beer times, perfect for pointless aimless rambling blog inducing conversations), and the three of us were talking about *duh* relationships! And somehow or other, we started talking about the sacred, forbidden "office relationships"... or rather, the concept of "shitting in your own backyard".
So obviously I started thinking about well... my own working life to date... and you know what? I don't really think I am against the concept of dating a colleague. After all, after uni, if you don't date a colleague... there really isn't that much of a chance to get to know people is there?
So I haven't really tried dating a colleague... but perhaps that is more of a case of timing rather than any other circumstance. My two previous jobs were of the 12 to 16 hour a day variety, and they were the kind that had limited contact to the "outside" world. True, I had clients, but clients were oft twice my age, married and with kids... or the married but its a secret so I can play the field variety. So assuming that I was single at that time... wouldn't the best chance to get myself attached be looking at my fellow colleagues?
Hmmm... one of the most oft heard reasons for not dating a colleague is "think of what happens and how ugly it can be when you guys break up". Hee... why is it that we all go into a relationship thinking of the worst? This is really the epitome of scenario planning. But gee... think about it, what happens if it all works out? If I really think about it, there really is much to argue for dating a colleague. See, he / she will understand what you are talking about, be it the good things or the bad... when recalling an incident, you won't need to (a) introduce the characters; (b) give relevant background, or worse, (c) justify how you feel.
So yeah... think I've stated my case. At the end of the day, if the shoe fits, why have so many quandries?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home