Sunday, March 16, 2008

Butterfly Kisses

This song has been repeating itself in my mind the entire weekend. Always liked the song from the first I heard it long ago. Just thought that it was a really sweet song, and how often do you get to hear songs about fathers and daughters? Remember playing it to my dad when I first heard it... and asking daddy if he would miss me if I ever did get married. I have always been really close to my dad... he's the one who would bring me for walks to all the parks when I was young, buy me my favourite stationery when he's abroad, and yeah, he thought me how to play with Lego. 

Think the song came into my mind whilst I was reading over the weekend. Think the weather kinda got to me, and I ended up staying at home and polishing this book that I borrowed from the library: Love Happens. Nothing amazing about the plot but it primarily dealt with a female trying to get over her failed marriage. A couple of the chapters focused on her contemplating reuniting with her husband for the sake of her three year old kid.

How does the song and the book link? Not really too sure... but I found myself wondering if that's why alot of marriages last longer than expected... coz we all innately feel that all kids deserve a father, and that if we did consider bringing a kid into the world, we owe it to the kid to ensure that he/she will always have a father figure in his/her life?

It's something that I've heard in real life... the "adults" lamenting that they are in the marriage for the kids... and also, I think, for the females, coz some companionship is better than none at all, and because they dread the social stigma of being a divorcee. That's a sad but I think true fact. 

Do all kids really need a father figure? I think so... maybe because of the very good relationship that I have had with my own dad. Think without him, the family would never be as close knit. In a lot of ways, he has by sacrificing alot, kept the family together, and forced peace between the various members of my family. Think without him, the Sunday family dinners, the ability to forgive and forget, and even, to just love because it's family would be absent from my life. Anyone that really knows me would know that I think my dad's the best husband/father anyone can have... unfortunately, as I always say, he's an extinct breed. But yeah, if I were ever to have a kid, yes, I would like him/her to have a father who would be around... to care for, and to love. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home