Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Trying on gowns

Went for my gown search yesterday... (yes, in a jiffy, 4 months have passed... and the big day is 7 months away).... and my, I can only conclude that brides in this country are typically 10cm taller and 5kgs lighter than me. I could hardly fit in any of the stuff I tried.

It was an interesting but exhausting experience, trying on one after another article of clothing for about 3 plus hours? In the end, we kind of gave up on finding a suitable evening gown for moi, and decided to go for the "made-to-measure" option. For the uninitiated, there are two options given to prospective brides:
a) pick the gowns off the shelf, and they alter them, if possible, to fit you (cheaper option)
b) custom making a gown to your specifications, or simply, made-to-measure... i.e. you design and they make one especially for you, according to your figure
FYI, Option B is often about $500 more, and you DO NOT always get to keep the gown.
My final "gown" is going to be some cheongsam looking thing with a modern touch... am not sure how I am going to look in it, but it's not some breathtaking piece, so please don't bother holding your breath. The actual wedding gown is one of those tube thingies, sweet yet elegant, and all nicely covered. Unfortunately, the current choice doesn't quite fit... well, I have a couple of months more to pray for the designer to design my dream gown.
Mum, Sis, Jules and the little bunny were there for the fitting (thanks everyone for your input)... am impressed with how everyone patiently waited whilst I tried about 100 (ok, it's a bumped up figure) dresses. I think in that short period, I wore more dresses than in my entire life. Towards the end of the fitting, I could hardly remember one from the other. Maybe it has something to do with coming from a gals school... but I really detest dresses. Yes, they are supposed to make one look pretty... but only if you feel comfortable in them... and I cannot fathom how dresses can be comfortable! There, I said it. But having said all that, I do agree that a dress is somehow more appropriate for the ocassion... plus it makes my hubby happy... so, yes, I will endeavour to look my sweetest for the big day, even if it means losing that 5kgs. :) Next up, photo shoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home