Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Nation of Statistics

So polling day has come and past... and our ruling party has been given "a strong mandate". But in the aftermath of the election, statistics have conquered all converstaion... in coffee shops, in restaurants, and in movie theatres. :) Once again, I am amazed at the number of people who have been intrerested in this election (especially the ones in my age group)!!! For myself, I rank my key accomplishments during this period as:
1) Having attended my first rally (and being one ant out of tens of thousands)
2) Finally having a chance to "state my choice"

I really enjoyed the rally (at Ang Mo Kio, my GRC, no less) which I attended with T&S. It was fun to just soak in the atmosphere and to listen to some of the debates "live" (albeit one-sided), as opposed to via the usual news channels. Traffic was a horror (brilliant me took the MRT), but even S decided that her $25 cab fare was well worth it.

So, one week after, we can now all start rambling off stats like 66.6, 66.13, 43.92 and so on... numbers that will make no sense in about a week's time... but will be relevant in 5 years. Of course, these stats are accompanied by some memorable key workds like "strong mandate". "lift upgrading", "money politics", "suicide team", and of course James Gomez. What does this General Election mean at the end of it all? I shall leave the detailed analysis to the experts, both local and international... but I figured, both our ruling party and the opposition have won a few little battles this time round; but as to the war... I think we will have to wait another 5 years for the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home