Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Discipline

My favourite topic at the moment? Why? Because I do seem to be gravely lacking in this point at the moment. For starters, it's closer to 9pm right now and I'm stuck in office. Theorectically speaking, I should then be hard at work so as to get my butt out of the office as soon as possible, but nope, I am having a whale of a time writing about my inability to discipline myself.

Seriously though, I've looked around in office, and find that there are always two groups of people; the first group being the ones that are always hunched over their desks during office hours, hard at work, lunching in, never one to stop for a chit chat... the second group being the ones that will always have time to at least flash a smile, not that they have nothing to do, but I guess it's just the way they choose to handle being at work.

Which group do I then belong in? Would love to say that I unequivocally belong in the first category... really? Well, it's one of those dilemmas in life, ain't it? The first group does seem to be the kind that finish up their tasks earlier, are recognised as being hardworking, etc. The second.. well, I guess very much depends on your working environment. In my line of work (read: paper pusher, number cruncher), the second group is largely frowned upon, and unfortunately, I think I belong in the latter. Have actually come to the conclusion that since I will inevitably be spending a large amount of my time at work, what's the harm in trying to enjoy the process? Yes, the little breaks do result in later nights, but, it also does enable me to keep a smile most of the time and get to know my coworkers a little better.

Since I've already made my conclusion, what then am I griping about? Well... have decided that all being said and done, I do need to focus on... (a) clearing work, even for those tasks that I'm disinterested in, or worse, disagree with (b) taking a shorter time to get started in the mornings and after lunch (c) cutting those meetings (official and unofficial) short!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home